RUNNING FOR A PURPOSE
Since 2000, Legs for Literacy has grown into the largest running event in New Brunswick.
Legs for Literacy was started in 2000 by a small group of local runners and a team of enthusiastic volunteers. They saw a need for a community running event and decided that any funds raised would go to local school literacy programs. The first event included 5 and 10 km distances. Over the years the race grew to include the half marathon distance, and in 2005 the marathon distance was added. Due to amazing support from the running community and business sponsors, the race has continued to grow year after year!
To date we have donated $800,000 to local schools and literacy initiatives.
The Board of Directors is pleased to announce that proceeds from our 2021 event, totaling $18,000, have been awarded to:
Elementary Literacy Inc. / Alphabétisation au primaire inc.
The Moncton Regional Learning Council
Salon du Livre de Dieppe
Our approach to giving is to maximize the effect of the funds that are being distributed to improve literacy in Southeast New Brunswick. In the spirit of Legs for Literacy’s history, our efforts are focused on school-aged children, with a balance between both English and French programs/benefits. A long-term approach, emphasizing quality over quantity is also important.
The information required to assess funding requests includes the following:
1. Budget: total amount requested; allocation of funds; availability of alternative sources of funding; capital investment versus operational funds.
2. Program Details: goals to be achieved and benchmarks to measure performance; ratio of service providers (educators) or materials to students; history of program, i.e., number of years and outcomes; outside comments or reviews on the program if available; past funding from LFL.
3. Coverage: geographic; number of beneficiaries; language; age of students.
4. Affiliation with a School District: (if any)
5. Reporting: if Legs for Literacy funds have been received in the past, a summary report of spending and performance outcomes must be included with the new application.
Applications and any questions should be sent electronically to the Executive Board (INFO@legsforliteracy.com) by December 31 2022.
We will notify applicants of our decision and distribute funds in March of the following year.